Monday, April 6, 2009

Heute... und Ostern!

So this Easter, we get both Friday and Monday off. Seeing as it's pretty much a 5 day weekend (we can leave for a trip on Thursday.. and get back Monday night... it's going to be AWESOME). My friend Becca and I are planning on going on a small bike tour of Southern Germany, hopefully going around 30 miles every day and who knows what else. Today I bought a Bahncard (train discount card) and my ticket to Würzburg, the northern tip of the "Romantische Straße" or "Romantic Road." That is going to be ridiculous. I'll just have to bring a couple changes of clothes in my backpack, along with some snacks and food and .. wow, I guess I'll have to live out of my backpack for 4 days!

It has promise to be one of the cooler, more college-y cheap trips I will ever do--if all goes well. I tried to find a cool couchsurfing host, but Easter was a tough week and Becca and I decided that it would probably be a good idea just to go during the longest break we have.

Also, my uncle took me out to dinner tonight at this really tight Chinese restaurant called 老友记 or they translated it as "GOOD FRIENDS" in one of the City Centers. It was so damn tasty, and mmm. Then he brought me to the electronics store, called "Saturn" and bought me a rice cooker. Thank God. Now I can buy a ricecooker and cook rice for my meals... and fry it sometimes, and do other tasty things to it. I can't wait. Mmmmm rice. I'll be here for 5 more months, so why not have a rice cooker right? It really is just like the real world.

After the rice cooker trip, he dropped me off back at the center for a meeting with our language partners--students who volunteer to come and really just to get know the Stanford students. It's a two-way relationship, it's not necessarily that they volunteer to always help us in German; we ask them out, they ask us out, and we're all supposed to be friends. The problem was that there were like, 4 Stanford students to every 1 Sprachpartner, and it was kind of awkward. I didn't want to push myself on to other people, and I didn't really click with any person in particular. It was this pressure situation where I really wanted just to meet someone I clicked with so we could hang out, but ended up failing because I left early from the Sprachpartner meet + green to go to a bar with some friends, and then on the way to the bar decided to poop out and go home because the bar was just waay too far out (and for some of the reasons outlined below about... just not being comfortable hanging out with people). I felt like hanging out with people I didn't really want to be with is a waste of time, and I would rather spend that time with myself... doing things that make me happy and relaxed. I guess that's just my introvert exerting itself more and more....

Anyway, that was my day, and that also describes my plans for Easter. I am PUMPED but probably won't write a post until I get back next Monday night. Das ist alles!

0 comments: